MLI VOLUNTEER POSITION
Time Commitment: As needed on a monthly basis
Age Requirement: 14 years or older
Volunteers for the Marine Life Inventory (MLI) will help staff prepare by arriving early to set up equipment and materials before the event begins. During the event, volunteers will assist in the flow of each station as each group rotates to the next. This involves: preparing otter trawl net, rinsing mud sieves and mud grabbers, data collection, and directing groups to their next station. Data is recorded at every MLI so it is important for all staff and volunteers to keep track of data collection. Familiarity with marine organisms is highly preferred to ensure the accuracy of data. At the end of the day, volunteers will assist in clean up including: rinsing of all equipment and materials and checking everything is put away properly.
First time volunteers are required to participate in the actual marine life inventory before becoming a regular volunteer. This gives volunteers the opportunity to get familiar with the program, common marine organisms, and the flow of stations.
- Ability to lift at least 40 lbs
- Experience with boats a plus
- Ability to swim
- Willingness to get wet and muddy
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Ability to take initiative and be reliable
- Interest in working with students ranging from 4th grade to college level
- Interest and willingness to work with and handle marine animals
- Enthusiasm and passion for environmental conservation and preservation
- Basic knowledge of Southern California marine life preferred
- Experience with data collection a plus
- Marine science background preferred
If interested and qualified, please fill out an application and send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to list any relevant experience or knowledge.
NOTE: Volunteers under the age of 18 must fill out a parental permission form in addition to the volunteer application.